Author Topic: 93 Blazer SAS Project  (Read 28524 times)

BowtieBone

• It used to be a 93...then I met this group!
    • View Profile
93 Blazer SAS Project
« on: October 04, 2010, 08:48:52 PM »
Ok, so I guess it's about time to start my build thread. Let me start backwards, how does that go......in the beginning!! So I bought my Blazer originally as a daily driver, found it sitting on a car lot by my work. Had been without a 4wheel drive for about 10 years, so I bought it after seeing it on the lot every day for over a week of driving by it. Originally I wanted it to look good and wasn't particularly concerned with function. It had a 4" lift on it with 33s, full length running boards and thats about it.
My first project was to change the front grill to a 94 with billet inserts and bowtie and removed all the exterior trim to clean up the body. Then I decided that my first off road trip was the backway to Crown King. On this trip I buckled both drop brackets for the torsion bars. I made new brackets and ran the trail again, this time gernaiding the spider gears in the rear end.
At this point, I realized that I needed to worry more about function and not as much about the style. I Removed the running boards, replaced with nerf bars, replaced the shocks with Rancho 9000s with remote air, then put the 35s under it, adding 3/4 ton torsion bars to gain a bit of lift in the front. Put a 2" body lift under it. Removed the 4" blocks in the rear and replaced with a 2" block and added add-a-leafs to bring the rear level. Locked the rear end with a Powertrax locker and changed the gears to 4:56s. Replaced the rear axles with Superior axles (as many of you know why....Crown King!)
Along the way, I've had the transmission rebuilt and the transfer case reworked. Built the front reciever for the winch mount and added an electronic B&M shift kit as well as a power chip for the computer.

Heres's a few pics from begining to today:

The day I purchased it

Adding the Body Lift

Adding the Roof Rack

So, now to today. The next project is to get the front end locked. As you all know, any attempt to lock a Chevy IFS diff will result in catastrophic results. After too many hours trying to decide the best way to do this, I've came to the realization that it's time to ditch the IFS and do the straight axle swap I've been contemplating for the last several years.
I'll post up soon my plans for this and keep the posts coming on my progress, obviously, first and formost I need to round up all the parts necessary. Hoping to get this completed by next spring, money permitting.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 09:32:22 AM by BowtieBone »

93 Blazer, 350 tbi, 4L60E trans, NP241C transfer case, 7" lift, 35"s on 15s, 4:88 gears, welded 14bolt rear, Dana 44 front SAS with powertrax locker, Bilstein 5125 shocks front/rear, Warn XD9000i Winch, full cage

SUB602

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 93 Blazer
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 05:21:34 AM »
 :goodpost: Sounds like a solid start. Keep the Updates coming.
Ruben

Built not Bought

currently looking for a rig

ROCKZILLA

• Administrator
  • Can't tell me Nothin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 05:58:11 AM »
 :hack: the IFS out and straight axle the front fo sure!
It will never really be done!

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:58:35 AM »
bout time you started a build thread  :flipoff: 
look forward to seeing this swap done
just all bad luck at this point.  whatever is the worst that can happen will

Copper Miner

• Keep Calm and Kill Zombies!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 06:09:55 PM »
Call me when your ready to cut that ifs out, I'll be more than happy to help ya!
DO EPIC sh**
Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
Coming soon to a trail near you LOL

BowtieBone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 08:56:39 PM »
It's official! I bought the first of many needed parts for my SAS. Picked up a complete Dana 44 out a 76 chevy. Has 47" leafs with 4" lift and 6lug spindles complete with calipers. I can use the leafs and spindles on the ford diff when I get it.

So here's what I've decided on after many hours of surfing the internet:

I'm going to use Off Road Unlimited's SAS kit. I like their bracket setup and from what I've read, seems to be the most used and recommended. The kit will move the front diff forward 1" and add 3" of lift.

The diff I'm going to use will be a late 70's Ford F250 high pinion Dana 44. This diff has the driver's drop I need and a 32" spring pad width. These are all 8 lug, so I'm going to swap the spindles for the Chevy 6 lug I purchased.

The leafs are 47" Chevy front leafs with a 4" lift. This will give the 7" of lift I already have to clear my 35s. I have to replace the bushings/sleeves with 88-91 Chevy bushings to fit the brackets from ORU's kit. I'm going to use Energy Suspension bushings/sleeves.

I'm going to use Off-Road Directs crossover steering kit. This will allow me to use my factory gear box. I did notice the knuckle on the diff I purchased is a flat top, so I may be able to save some costs by just purchasing their pitman arm to convert the steering.

I plan to continue to run 4:56 gears and put a Lockrite locker in the front. I may also put a trac bar on it, depends on how it drives once I get the new diff under it.

Haven't put much thought into the rest of the details; shocks will be the same Rancho RS9000s; not sure if I will ditch the ABS components ( they won't be utilized, but may be more work removing them, than just leaving them in place as a junction); the front driveline will need to be modified; front winch mount will have to be rebuilt; and the list goes on as with any project!

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions feel free to let me know.
93 Blazer, 350 tbi, 4L60E trans, NP241C transfer case, 7" lift, 35"s on 15s, 4:88 gears, welded 14bolt rear, Dana 44 front SAS with powertrax locker, Bilstein 5125 shocks front/rear, Warn XD9000i Winch, full cage

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:10:56 PM »
looking forward to this build tony.  i am always here to help ya and can take the d44 apart pretty good with exception of the ring and pinion. 

ROCKZILLA

• Administrator
  • Can't tell me Nothin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 10:04:29 PM »
Sounds like a good plan. Why not go coil in the front though? Just wondering.

BowtieBone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 11:51:30 AM »

looked a little into it, but not a lot of info on doing this. ORU and ORD both make 4 link kits but lots of $. As far as fabricating, this is my first major project,  I want to keep it simple as possible and do as much of the work myself. In the past I would pay people to do the work, but not as gratifying and you don't learn much that way. Also more expensive. Leaf spring setup seam pretty simple and straight forward.

ROCKZILLA

• Administrator
  • Can't tell me Nothin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 02:19:50 PM »

looked a little into it, but not a lot of info on doing this. ORU and ORD both make 4 link kits but lots of $. As far as fabricating, this is my first major project,  I want to keep it simple as possible and do as much of the work myself. In the past I would pay people to do the work, but not as gratifying and you don't learn much that way. Also more expensive. Leaf spring setup seam pretty simple and straight forward.
Leaf springs are a lot easier!

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 05:35:33 PM »
...and cheaper

BowtieBone

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 07:48:46 PM »
Pulled the leafs off the diff last night and removed the hubs, spindles and axle shafts. Opened the cover and the gears look pretty good, they are 3:73s. Next week, I'll pull the knuckles off and hopefully have the ford dana 44 to start working on it.

47" chevy leafs with 4" lift

Hubs, spindles and axle shafts removed. Thanks Eryc for the lesson last night!!

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »
i've removed 1 or 2 d44 axle shafts before  :lmao:

SUB602

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 05:12:33 AM »
Cant wait to se this finished as i have a 98 Suburban i've tought about doing this to, not to mention i love the 88-98 Trucks. One question Why D44's over 1 ton axles?
Ruben

Built not Bought

ROCKZILLA

• Administrator
  • Can't tell me Nothin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 06:06:53 AM »
i've removed 1 or 2 d44 axle shafts before  :lmao:
or 4 or 5 :whip:

JYD

• Administrator
  • not a straight panel on this rig!
    • View Profile
    • ALLOFFROADAZ.COM
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 07:52:52 AM »

JYD

• Administrator
  • not a straight panel on this rig!
    • View Profile
    • ALLOFFROADAZ.COM
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 07:53:42 AM »
Cant wait to se this finished as i have a 98 Suburban i've tought about doing this to, not to mention i love the 88-98 Trucks. One question Why D44's over 1 ton axles?
price?

Cuda K5

• its a pile of parts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 08:15:57 AM »
i don't think he plans on wheeling hard enough to need tons
Subway is like prostitution. You are paying somebody for something your wife is supposed to do.

ROCKZILLA

• Administrator
  • Can't tell me Nothin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 10:01:16 AM »
One question Why D44's over 1 ton axles?
About 800 of these $$$$$ reasons!

BowtieBone

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 09:33:54 PM »

All of the above! $ for one, I looked at a HP D60 that was just the shell (I think the one BB1 picked up) and the cost to build it was too much. Second, I am not going to wheel this vehicle hard enough to need D60s.

BowtieBone

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 10:13:48 PM »
Picked up a HP D44 Sunday, thanks again Eryc for the help!

It's a coil diff instead of a leaf diff, so I have a few challenges I need to overcome.
First and foremost, the diff is 2" narrower than the Chevy D44 I have - the Chevy is 54 1/2" and the the Ford is 52 1/2 (measured from knuckle to knuckle). I'm not sure how much of an issue this would be if any, it is only 1 inch on each side, but not sure if this will pose any clearance issues.
The second challenge is how to mount the spring perches. The perches need to be 31 1/2" wide from center to center. I measured the distance from each knuckle end to the center of the perch on the Chevy D44 and got 11 1/2". Taking an 1" off of that for the difference in the widths of the two axles I would need to have them 10 1/2" on the Ford D44.

Here is a close up of the two places the perches will need to go:

Driver Side

Passenger Side

I don't believe the passenger side would be too challenging, just cut that mount with the bolt off, and grind the tab flat, then modify a leaf perch to fit on the tube and on the raised section.
The driver side is my bigger concern. I can grind the tab on the left flush, but the purch would need to sit across the tube (about 3/4" lower)  and I would need to grind the rib coming down the pumpkin level with the left side. I know that the bottom of the pumpkin has a rib that needs to be notched for the ubolt (as I've seen in the SAS kit install instructions), so I believe the top can be done as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cuda K5

• its a pile of parts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 11:05:02 PM »
Make sure you get the, perches before you get out your grinder. I think your better off modifying the perches than the axle if possible.
Subway is like prostitution. You are paying somebody for something your wife is supposed to do.

SUB602

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 04:30:19 AM »
Can you snap a few shots of the Coil Spring Perches that r on there now? From the Pics u have up  i cant tell where the Perches actually r in relation to the Knuckle and Pumpkin.

As far as the Axles being different lengths i think spacers will take care of that.
Ruben

Built not Bought

ROCKZILLA

• Administrator
  • Can't tell me Nothin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 06:07:08 AM »
Like we were talking about Tony I'm pretty sure your gonna need to cut most of the factory perch off to get a good area to put the leaf spring perch and get the u-bolts around the housing.

BowtieBone

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 09:50:02 AM »
Can you snap a few shots of the Coil Spring Perches that r on there now? From the Pics u have up  i cant tell where the Perches actually r in relation to the Knuckle and Pumpkin.

As far as the Axles being different lengths i think spacers will take care of that.

Passenger Side

Driver Side

Passenger Side new spring perch location

Driver side new spring perch location

You can see in the first two pictures that the location where the center of the new spring perch is to the left and right of the stock coil perch locations. These would not need to be removed (except to cut off for looks or for my shock mounts.
The second two pics show where the new perches would actually sit. Looking at it this morning, it looks pretty doable with some cutting/grinding. The thickness of the larger area on the tube is 3 1/2" so I can use a generic leaf perch for a 3 1/2" tube I believe for the driver side, but may need to use a perch for a 3" tube on the passenger side since half of it will be on the axle tube itself.

As far as the spacers, any cons to using a 1" spacer?

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal