Author Topic: 700r4 leak from front seal  (Read 5253 times)

SUB602

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
700r4 leak from front seal
« on: March 29, 2010, 07:18:22 PM »
Ok i figure this might help someone with a 700r4 thats spewing Trans fluid from the front seal.

From what i found on my Trans was that the Front Pump Bushing walked forward up against the seal that the Torque Converter shaft rides on. When the Bushing seats against the seal it blocks the Drain back hole that is in between the Bushing and Seal. When the Drain back is blocked the fluid has nowhere else to go but out the front seal and onto the floor.

To fix it u must remove the trans, remove the Torque Converter, Then remove the pan, Remove the Shift Solenoid and then the Front Pump. Seperate the Pump from the Support, and remove the Bushing from the Pump. Be careful when removing the Pump, the Pump vanes will fall out so u must be aware of how everything came apart so u can re-assemble it correctly. Install the new Bushing with some Locktite between the Bushing and the Bushing seat. Then reassemble. Always use new seals and Gaskets when re-assembling a tranny. It helps to use trans fluid to lubricate the O-ring around the Front Pump.

Apparently this is a common problem on 700r4 Trannies so if it helps someone i did my Job. Of course if you run into this problem with your Trans let me know i am more than willing to help out when i can.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:20:32 PM by SUB602 »

Ruben

Built not Bought

currently looking for a rig

spankey

• its so pretty bouncing off the rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: 700r4 leak from front seal
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 07:22:04 PM »
You can avoid this problem if you torque the pump to spec! Not sure what the spec is I have to look it up everytime!
HMMMM.. I LIKE TO MAKE BABIES!

SUB602

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 07:26:06 PM »
You can avoid this problem if you torque the pump to spec! Not sure what the spec is I have to look it up everytime!

How would torque on the Pump prevent the Bushing from walking out?
Ruben

Built not Bought

spankey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »
Are you talking about the pump seal? I was so we might be on diffrent pages! If so my bad! Still a problem with the 700r tho! Either way sorry!

SUB602

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 07:35:33 PM »
Are you talking about the pump seal? I was so we might be on diffrent pages! If so my bad! Still a problem with the 700r tho! Either way sorry!

The Bushing that is pressed into the Front pump. There is a seal and the a Bushing and the Torque Converter shaft rides on both of them.

I was just curious on if you had info i hadnt read about. Any info that can help someone else fix the issues they have on their trucks is good info. The only way i found out what my problem was, was by searching the internet and other forums i belong too. So if i missed something please add to it.
Ruben

Built not Bought

spankey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 07:39:06 PM »
There was a recall on them. It was the front pump seal. it was a recall on the 4l60e and the 700r4. Mine was pouring out the front seal when I got it.

SUB602

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 08:25:06 PM »
Yea I read about that recall. I changed my seal because of that recall and re-installed my trans to find it still leaking from the same place. From my experience seals just don't pop out. There has to be a reason for the pressure build up behind the seal to pop it out. In my case it was the bushing. So if u change your seal thinking that's the problem check the bushing  before u button it up otherwise u could be removing the tranny again.
Ruben

Built not Bought

PillaRig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 04:48:30 PM »
I had a 87 s10 p-cup that i bought for 200 bucks that had this problem. Easy fix and resold it for 1500 bucks

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal