Author Topic: tha' 82  (Read 58992 times)

RCinLaveen

• View Profile
Re: tha' 82
« Reply #675 on: April 02, 2017, 10:23:22 AM »
Very nice

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 06, 2017, 06:48:08 PM »
Starting to get excited. 
FOA 2.0x16 coil overs.  I need springs still if anybody has some let me know what lengths and weights you have. 

I'll need help setting this 3 link up when I get closer for anybody wanting to lend me a hand

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 06:52:47 PM by kkattfish »
just all bad luck at this point.  whatever is the worst that can happen will

JYD

• Administrator
  • f*** it! lets go wheeling!!
    • View Profile
    • ALLOFFROADAZ.COM
« Reply #677 on: April 07, 2017, 08:30:05 AM »
I can lend a couple hands they don't know what they are doing but are hands

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 16, 2017, 12:42:39 PM »
Yesterday I spent a few hours in the morning working on the blazer.  Originally I was going to install the steering first before removing the axle but I quickly realized I couldn't do the steering the way I wanted with the leaf springs in place so out with the axle.

While disassembling the axle for removal I found a few things that I'm glad I caught. 
1.  The top king pin on the drivers side was loose enough to remove with my fingers but all king pins are in good shape.
2.  The passenger little keeper pin that keeps the axle nut from backing out is completely missing and the axle nut was pretty loose. 
3.  The top bearing cap or whatever it's called on the drivers side lower king pin has a hole in the top.  Last picture.  Not sure if I can buy that or weld it closed but I'll figure it out tomorrow.

The first few pictures show how badly beat up the spring hangers and springs were.  This is the third set of 52" front springs I've destroyed this year so time for the links.

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 16, 2017, 12:46:33 PM »
This morning I spent a couple hours cleaning up the axle. 
I plan to move the axle forward about 4 inches so that my approach angle is better.  That will make me 119" until I can link the rear.  At that time I'll move the rear axle forward to reduce that wheelbase.

I forgot to mention that my plastic king pin spacers under my arms were in pretty bad shape.  1 was cracked in half.  So I ordered the bronze bushings that will go under the springless arms I have now. 

I have all of my steering items here I just need to bend my tube and cut some plate to mount the ram.  I will probably tack all of that in place first.
By then my 3 link kit should be here so that I can tack those brackets in place and get the axle back under the truck to center it and see where I will need to make my coil over mounts on the frame. 

RCinLaveen

• View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 17, 2017, 12:08:51 PM »
Nice progress, Eryc.

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 17, 2017, 01:00:15 PM »
Thanks Bob.  I need to clean up some of my old parts I'm going to sale. 
Need to recover some money to buy the link material and then have them hardened once I weld in the bungs. 

Still need coil springs also.  Expensive project so I hope my travel and the ride is worth it.

RCinLaveen

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 17, 2017, 10:00:20 PM »
Tough part, springs aren't the only part of the equation.  Vehicle weight, and valving?  That's all I know.  I run junk yard coils...

Never heard of hardening link material after welding either, I'm feeling uninformed.  I have some more to learn.

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 18, 2017, 07:15:10 AM »
Based on similar builds I could find I'm guesstimating my weight to be pretty close to 1050 per front corner. 
Valving on the shocks is Medium/Medium. 

Using one of the calculators I found and using a rough measurement for link placement I came up with these numbers:

Main 215  (18" 200 or 225)
Tender 143  (16" 150 or 14" 150 I'm not sure on this yet)

That puts me pretty close to what the builds I was following were using. 
Most of the builds I have been researching all used dual rate coilovers.  I'm not sure if I used the triple rate kit if that changes those spring rates at all. 

I'll call FOA since I have their shocks and ask them this week if I can't find an answer online. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:20:33 AM by kkattfish »

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 19, 2017, 12:21:46 PM »
Couple quick updates:
Spicer sells a lower king pin rebuild kit which is what I needed for the hole in the lower cap so I ordered that.  Should be here Friday
Bronze bushing showed up today
Ordered a new pinion seal to stop the leak there.
3 link kit should arrive in the next day or so

These items combined with what I already have should take care of the front axle.

I had bought a degree wheel for my bender a while back and got around to drilling and tapping my arms last night to mount it.  Tonight I will start to bend the tube for my DE ram mount and possibly tack it in place.

I'm going to be out of town this weekend so tonight is my last day for progress.

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 20, 2017, 07:19:25 AM »
This gear oil had 2 TM trips.  Is everybody's elses axle getting that much water in it after all the water TM had this year?

I know my pinion seal is leaking but damn.  I want to look into the guy or company that was advertising those axle seals on pirate.  may be worth it if they're not too much.  Went through $40 in gear oil this year so far and that doesn't include filling this thing up when I'm done here.

Hoss50

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 20, 2017, 09:56:22 PM »
Gets the seals squared up and.make sure the breather is run high with a loop or 2 in it.

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 25, 2017, 07:10:21 AM »
3 link kit showed up over the weekend so I went through that yesterday.  Everything is pretty nice and beefy except for the panhard heims.  I ended up ordering the Barnes kit and they did not have an option for larger panhard heims.  They sent 3/4 and they look pretty small.  Luckily I have some 7/8 in my old drag link so I am going to see if I can reuse my drag link with those heims.  I may need to shorten it but then I'd just need 1 bung.  I'll deal with that when I get there.  Worst case I just get new metal and 2 bungs for that. 
I need all the metal for the links anyway. 

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: Yesterday at 07:43:34 AM »
Well I forgot how bad and indecisive I am as a fabricator so may have to add some time on for this project.

I think I may have screwed myself and made the ram bar too close to the axle.  As it sits now I'm going to get some cardboard sat in there and sit the ram on it.  I am positive the red diff cover is going to have to go and can live with that I'll just need to pickup a new thick diff cover.  I'll deal with that once I know this is going to work.  If it's not going to work I'll get another piece of tube and make it stick out further and try to keep my red dif cover

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: Yesterday at 07:45:26 AM »
BTW, it's nice having the tools to be able to do this at home even though I am slow at it.  It was really nice having the degree wheel on my bender now so that I knew when I was at 90.  I ended up going a few degrees over for spring back. 

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: Yesterday at 03:28:52 PM »
Called FOA today and talked to them for a bit about my setup.  They were pretty helpful and got my springs ordered for me. 
They recommended 12" 250lb upper & 18" 300lb lower with the triple rate kit.  Free swaps if needed I just have to pay shipping and the springs can't be messed up. 

BTW, I still have no idea what I'm doing just kind of winging it I guess

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal