Author Topic: 93 Blazer SAS Project  (Read 78841 times)

Cuda K5

• Cocked-N-Locked Fab
    • View Profile
    • Cocked-N-Locked Fab
Re: 93 Blazer
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 10:06:52 AM »
I would try no spacers first. Gm made their front axles wider than the rear. Maybe it will make them even and it will look better. But if it doesnt goe down the road well try spacers
Cocked-N-Locked Fabrication and Racing

www.cockednlockedfab.com

Facebook @cockednlocked
Instagram @cocked_n_locked_racing
Youtube @ Cocked-N-Locked Racing

ROCKZILLA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 11:32:28 AM »
Tom runs spacers on the front of his Heep to make it the same as the 9inch Ford in the back no problems. I had 2 inch spacers all the way around on my Zuk.
It started life as a 1987 Samurai and turned into a Psychobilly Cadillac .
Wheel hard or stay home!
Build, wheel, break then repeat

SUB602

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 11:43:12 AM »
There is No dis-advantage in running Spacers. The advantage is to make your axles the same width.

To me the coil perches look wierd on the pics, like their molded into the axle tube instead of being a bracket they welded on. That's why I asked for a better pic. The way the brackets r mounted to the axle look wierd to me for some reason. :o
Ruben

Built not Bought- In Theory :)

77 Gmc Jimmy, 350, 3SPD, np205, 4" lift, 33" tires, 8-lug axles.

ROCKZILLA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 12:35:57 PM »
There is No dis-advantage in running Spacers. The advantage is to make your axles the same width.

To me the coil perches look wierd on the pics, like their molded into the axle tube instead of being a bracket they welded on. That's why I asked for a better pic. The way the brackets r mounted to the axle look wierd to me for some reason. :o
The radius arm clamps over the mounts on the D44. They are wide and at an angle also. I don't see any way to get u-bolst over the factory mounts!
Wheel hard or stay home!

BowtieBone

• It used to be a clean 93...then I met this group!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 11:48:32 AM »
Decisions, decisions ...after a discussion last night with Clint, I decided to see what the cost of swapping the axle tubes on a Chevy D44 to make it a drivers drop. I made a phone call today and to my surprise they can do it for $250 to $350! This is equal to the cost I already have into the Ford HP D44.
So now the delima ... have the Chevy converted or modify the Ford. The obvious from a time and ease standpoint would be to have the Chevy converted. Then sell the Ford to recoup my investment (hey Chuck!).
The other factor is the pros/cons on a high pinion versus standard. I believe the obvious is clearance, but is there any strenght/performance differences?
I'm interested in your opinions, thoughts, and/or suggestions.
93 Blazer, 350 tbi, 4L60E trans, NP241C, rear 14 bolt welded, front Ford D60 spooled

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2010, 12:37:46 PM »
you've alrady said you aren't going to wheel this real hard, so i would just convert the chevy d44 and that will make your life easier.  you won't have to do all the grinding and eveyrthing on the ford and the ubolts wouldn't be a problem.  plus it would be the right width. 

:2cents:
just all bad luck at this point.  whatever is the worst that can happen will

Cuda K5

• Cocked-N-Locked Fab
    • View Profile
    • Cocked-N-Locked Fab
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2010, 01:09:30 PM »
if you wanted to wheel hard id say to modify the ford hp but since you arent going to wheel hard i would convert the chevy axle.

but there are strength and performance advantages to a high pinion axle the obvious one is the fact that the pinion is up and higher out of the way along with the drive shaft. and when you have a high pinion axle in the front its stronger because the teeth on the ring and pinion are engaging on the drivers side, where as if you had a high pinion in the rear, the ring and pinion would be engaging on the  passangers side which would be weaker.

butttttt i dont think youll be blowing up any ring and pinions anytime soon..............
Cocked-N-Locked Fabrication and Racing

www.cockednlockedfab.com

Facebook @cockednlocked
Instagram @cocked_n_locked_racing
Youtube @ Cocked-N-Locked Racing

ROCKZILLA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2010, 05:13:25 PM »
 High pinion D44 is better but is a lot of work! You could put a 208 in your rig and not even have to mess with the axle tubes just bolt it in and go, or you could swap the axle tubes. It's all what you want to do and how much work you feel comfortable doing! :2cents:
Wheel hard or stay home!

BowtieBone

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 04:30:46 AM »
I appreciate everyone's advice and opinions. I agree, the HP would be nice, but probably not necessary for my needs.
93 Blazer, 350 tbi, 4L60E trans, NP241C, rear 14 bolt welded, front Ford D60 spooled

SUB602

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2010, 04:45:35 AM »
Im not sure about Strength between a HP44 and a regular 44. I wouldnt imaging there would  be a difference other than on an HP44 the Gears move in a reverse rotation to allow it to work where as the regularr 44 they move in the Standard Rotation.

The Advantage to the HP is more clearance for the U-joint so it doesnt get damaged, and a better angle on the Driveshaft again saving U-joints. Can you just swap the Center section of the High Pinion with the Chevy Tubes and Knuckles? i figure if your gonna pay someone to remove the Tubes maybe thats an option.
Ruben

BB1

• Stud
  • BEER BISCH
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2010, 07:38:14 PM »
You bought the undesirable HP 44. Those mounts are cast if you cut them you will have big holes in your axle tube. The good one they are welded on and you can cut them off.

Who did you call about re tubing the axle? I might have to do the long side on the 60 I bought.

By the way if you have the money I would re tube it to fit your truck. It is way stronger but the cool factor takes the cake in my book. The damn wheels never quit turning in my head. I was just thinking about turning the high pinion 60 into a passenger side drop and putting it into the willys and still running the toy axle in the TJ. I'm going freaking nuts. I'm never gonna finish sh**. :o
I'm a phucking slave!

Copper Miner

• Keep Calm and Kill Zombies!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 08:09:14 PM »
One of the good things about having the tubes swapped on the chevy 44 is you won't need to deal with the spring pad on the pumkin like you would on the ford. If you did put the chevy tubes in the ford 44 the $$$ you would have in it would really start to add up even though the high pinion would be nice for clearance but probably not that important for what your doing, the extra money spent on making that one axle out of both plus what you spent for the ford 44 would cover the cost of a better locker and your gear set in the chevy 44. Keeping the chevy axle stock and putting in a right hand drop case like the 208 is another option but the 241 case you have now is better and JB conversions makes a SYE kit for it which you will want to do in the future. Were you go now with everything you already have now is just a matter of how much money your willing to spend.
Id rather be riding my Harley!

BowtieBone

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2010, 12:40:16 PM »
You bought the undesirable HP 44. Those mounts are cast if you cut them you will have big holes in your axle tube. The good one they are welded on and you can cut them off.

Who did you call about re tubing the axle? I might have to do the long side on the 60 I bought.

By the way if you have the money I would re tube it to fit your truck. It is way stronger but the cool factor takes the cake in my book. The damn wheels never quit turning in my head. I was just thinking about turning the high pinion 60 into a passenger side drop and putting it into the willys and still running the toy axle in the TJ. I'm going freaking nuts. I'm never gonna finish sh**. :o
I spoke to Henry at AZ Differential over on Grand. I'm probably going to take it over there this week, he says he can get it done in a week. I'll let you know how it goes.

SUB602

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2010, 02:02:05 PM »
So ur just getting the Tubes flipped on the GM D44?
Ruben

elmh

• rolling on nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2010, 04:42:46 PM »
If you get 241 all u need is an adapter have lower gear ratio than the farm boxes and all lighter make a good skid. High pinion is nice but not necessary ring and pinion usually start breaking when your hard on it.mine has 241 passenger drop with sye been happy with it. Mine is a heavy pig already so ill probably just see how long it lasts. Good luck with your build
Hoopty with some decent parts that usually end up breaking.

BB1

• Stud
  • BEER BISCH
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »
Oh hell, I thought you were going to re tube the ford axle. So much for the cool factor. Can't wait to see the finished product anyhow. :beer:
I'm a phucking slave!

BowtieBone

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2010, 06:50:52 PM »
Oh hell, I thought you were going to re tube the ford axle. So much for the cool factor. Can't wait to see the finished product anyhow. :beer:

Yeah, I'm with you on the cool factor, but the time and $$$ to put into is more than I want to deal with. Seems like too many unknowns with it. If it was an F250 with leaf perches, wouldn't be an issue, but so far the only one I've found is online and in PA and it's only a housing for $200 + shipping!

So ur just getting the Tubes flipped on the GM D44?

That's my plan for today...of course let's see what changes tomorrow, lol. Hoping to get the knuckles off this week and take to AZ Diff on Wed or Thur.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 06:52:36 PM by BowtieBone »

BowtieBone

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2010, 07:10:01 PM »
Removed both knuckles today. Ball joints are shot, and spindles need rebuilt, so I bought new ball joints and ordered spindle kits. I'm going to cut the factory shock mounts and stabilizer bracket off in the next few days to get the diff ready for the tube swap.

Also did some measuring to get an idea where the driver side leaf perch will need to be placed. Looks as though I will need to cut about 1 1/2" to 2" out of the housing to get the perch where it needs to be on the opposide of the housing after the axle swap. Not sure if the vent tube is going to be in the way or not. If so, I'm hoping that I will be able to relocate it.

Copper Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2010, 07:56:39 PM »
You should have the place doing the tube swap do you spring perches. The cost will be worth not having to deal with it yourself and you'll know it will be strong when it's done.

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2010, 08:08:25 PM »
You should have the place doing the tube swap do you spring perches. The cost will be worth not having to deal with it yourself and you'll know it will be strong when it's done.
how will they know the angle?  is this common to them or will they need the vehicle?  just curious
just all bad luck at this point.  whatever is the worst that can happen will

BowtieBone

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2010, 08:21:20 PM »
I was going to talk with them about it when I drop it off. Not sure if they can determine a good angle based on the lift or if it would be best done once the leafs are in place and the vehicle weight is on the diff.

Copper Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2010, 08:39:09 PM »
how will they know the angle?  is this common to them or will they need the vehicle?  just curious
Lift manufactures know what degree shims you need when putting lifts on vehicles and the manufacture of the SAS he's buying should have that info also. Since he's not dealing with a lot of lift and not driving on the highway in 4wd the exact angle is not as critical as it would be with the rear axle. He could have the perches welded at stock angle and add 4 degree shims and it would be good but he has an opportunity to get the axle setup without having to use shims and therefor eliminate the possibility of more bump steer that you can get when using shims.

BowtieBone

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2010, 07:20:44 PM »
Cut the factory shock mounts and stabilizer mount off today and ground the tubes clean from the welds. Should be ready to take it to AZ Diff Wed or Thurs to start the tube swap!
Also received the leaf perches I ordered today, but it got dark so I didn't get a chance to look at what kind of cutting/grinding will need to be done on the housing.

steves79

• Driveway Stomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2010, 06:44:24 PM »
dont pay some shop hundreds of buck to do the ball joints,unless you do it,give me a buzz if you need the ball joints done
felony4x4.com

8BALLBLAZER

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2010, 09:12:03 PM »
dont pay some shop hundreds of buck to do the ball joints,unless you do it,give me a buzz if you need the ball joints done
ball joint king!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal