Author Topic: Durf's Bronco  (Read 3894 times)

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Durf's Bronco
« on: August 28, 2016, 08:30:04 PM »
Time for the official build thread folks. Been a long time since ive had the privilege of posting this kind of stuff. Im not much of a Ford guy, but i'll take what i can get.

So here it is. My shiny new 1990 OJ Bronco. HO 5.0l v8 out of a 94 mustang gt, E4OD transmission, 3.55 gears with posi in the rear, 4in lift, 33in tires.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:33:16 PM by ZJ Guy »

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Durf's Bronco
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »
I attend a bbq and see this poor neglected truck rotting in the back yard. I ask what the story is and they all tell me it had a bad harmonic balancer, guy who tried to fix it didnt bother to line up balancer with key and sheared the key off inside the crank. No one in there circle can figure out how to get it running. So after some back and forth negotiations, i show up the next Sat with a trailer and $400 bucks in exchange for truck and title. Tow it to my work and survey the situation.

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 08:47:09 PM »
Naturally instead of picking at it with a chisel like the last guys, i pull out the timing chain and gears to get access to the old key. The chain was so worn out and loose i was able to just slip it off and out of the way, which helped since all that picking and hammering they did just drove the key under the crank gear, so it needed some help coming off.

Then i was able to pry old key out.

Cleaned up the crank with some sanding and filing, installed new key, gears, and chain

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 09:00:52 PM »
A new Interstate battery (generously donated by a total in our back lot), a quality Oreilys reman alternator, all new fluids & filters, and a fresh can of gas, and she was up and running (not very well but we'll get to that later). Immediately, even just cruising my back lot, i notice it dont drive or steer well at all.

Wheels are toed & cambered in like crazy.

Steering wheel is upsidedown and steering components wore out beyond use. TTB pivot bushings were just a little overdue, and radius arm bushings not even installed. I guess whoever did the lift forgot to check those (probably the same guy who did the quality harmonic balancer job).

Time for a front end overhaul...

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:10:48 PM »
So i got some bad advise from a "Ford guy" that you can do the bushings from under the truck. WRONG. Axles gotta come out.

I drag the first one over to a table vise and....not enough strength to press the ttb bushing out. So onto the shop press, which handled them fairly well.

Now axle #2 contains the diff, so it wasnt going anywhere by me. I got the bright idea to drive it up to the shop press on the forklift, which gives me an even better idea on how to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 09:18:54 PM »
Put on the new polymer radius arm bushings when i reinstall the axles...

Replace every steering component and perform back yard alignment, flip steering wheel...

And shes tracking straight as a laser.

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 09:42:21 PM »
Next obstacles to overcome...

Fluid leaks, easily solved with a little bit of seals and gaskets and a lot of Lucas.

Engine misses and backfires. I start with rebuilding all the vacuum lines, anyone with an older Ford knows how much they used the piss out of plastic vacuum lines which rott and crack with time and heat. I must have repaired or replaced a dozen broken lines. Then i check and make very small adjustment to timing. Now the guy i bought it from said he just did a full tune up so no need to touch the ignition system. Well it does have brand new MSD cap, rotor, and wires, so i kinda beleive him. But then i think of the balancer and lift jobs. So i pull a couple plugs and see that they are brand new, just cheap a** .99 cent autolights. Racking my brain trying to figure out why i have a damn misfire still, i decide for funsies to check his firing order. Now the newer 5.0l's use a different firing order than the year of my truck, so the sticker under the hood is useless. Another
haynes manual later and, viola, dumbass crossed 2 plug wires. I would be willing to bet he never had a bad harmonic balancer in the first place, probably got the bad misfires from his botched tune up and thought the engine vibrations where a balancer. Anyways, misfires and backfires removed i decided to ditch the dollar plugs. Truck already has MSD high performance cap, rotor, and wires, so why not take advantage of that.

To anyone out there considering going with a hotter ignition but not sure if its worth the dough... DO IT NOW. Instantly you could tell the difference. It idled smoother, much quicker throttle response (reving in neutral, this trucks a lead sled it cant get faster on the road), and the exhaust got so much louder and beefier.

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 09:58:18 PM »
Speaking of exhaust, the previous owner claims to have just had that done too. I can see the shiny new Flowmaster, but i can also see the removed cats, and a welding hack job. Also exhaust does not clear the rt rear leaf spring and is banging everytime suspension compresses.

So i called up my guy Don at Mad Hatter Muffler, and he puts in a single 3 way cat instead of the factory 2 cat set up, and builds me a whole new cat back using only the old/new Flowmaster.

Truck failed emissions for everything except nox. Had someone smoke the evap system and fuel lines going into sending unit were loose. Fix that, plus new gas cap and she passed the evap portion but still failed smog despite my patented blend of Ethonol, rubbing alcohol, and fuel injector cleaner in the tank this time. Nice guy at emissions gave me a vehicle emissions history report. Truck had not passed an AZ emissions test since 2007. Failed 3 times in 09 and never tested again untill me. Guy must have had it registered up north. Now i know why dmv wouldnt let me teansfer title untill emissions were done, it had been too long since last pass, despite the fact that the dbag previous owner claimed it was up to date on smog.

A new O2 sensor, and a whole lot more carb cleaner in the intake and fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank, and shes finaly street legal.

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 10:44:30 PM »
The truck had 2 brand new BFG KM2 mud terrains up front, easily worth my 400 purchase price, but 2 mismatched beat up chewed apart mud terains on the rear. I chose the best one and made it the spare, and purchased 2 slightly used Geolander all terrains from a mexican lanterra shop. Put those up front to help truck drive and steer smoother, and the BFG's to the back to optimize the traction of my limited slip diff back there. Also, im kinda being a Jew and want my exspensive tires in the back where they will wear less.

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 11:00:42 PM »
Next problem. None of the windows work. The front window motors can be heard turning, but they dont move the windows on their own. One of the guys at my work says they have plastic gears on the motor thst turn the regulator, but the gears wear out overtime. If the motor still spins, you can take the motor out, remove the gear, and modify it so that when you put it back in you just bolt the motor and regulator together and never have to worry about it again. At least untill the motor dies. I'll try that later, but for now they work so long as you help them with one hand.

The back glass is a bit more complicated. The truck was involved in a drive-by shooting, so the glass, motor, and regulator are toast. The shell is beat to sh** too. I called every used supplier we use at work and every junk yard in phx i could find, and no one has a good gate. But one of my vendors gave me the info to a yard in CA that specializes in older American trucks and suvs. They had 3 Broncos of my generation. Only 2 had tailgates. Of those, 1 had a good glass, working motor, and working handle. And lucky enough, it was red. So, out with old...

And in with the new.

Not quite the right color, but way too much work to gut it and swap all the parts.

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 10:36:26 AM »
sounds like you got a lot to do but great progress so far. 
nice job durfee
just all bad luck at this point.  whatever is the worst that can happen will

Cuda K5

• Cocked-N-Locked Fab
    • View Profile
    • Cocked-N-Locked Fab
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 01:00:42 PM »
too much work to put into a Ford!!!  :lee:
Cocked-N-Locked Fabrication and Racing

www.cockednlockedfab.com

Facebook @cockednlocked
Instagram @cocked_n_locked_racing
Youtube @ Cocked-N-Locked Racing

JYD

• Administrator
  • f*** it! lets go wheeling!!
    • View Profile
    • ALLOFFROADAZ.COM
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 07:20:30 PM »
My legs went to sleep reading this post!

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 09:19:34 PM »
And just for Jake...

Stupid stickers, decals, and logos are removed. Shiny new windshield so I dont get a ticket driving to Florence, and a swap over to manual hubs; not cause i think they're better or anything, and lord knows i dont want to get out of my truck to engage 4wd, but my cheapness out weighs my laziness, and i can buy 4 sets of these for what 1 single auto hub cost, or 2 sets of these for what 1 auto hub rebuild kit costs. And thats my internal pricing from Napa...

Cuda K5

• Cocked-N-Locked Fab
    • View Profile
    • Cocked-N-Locked Fab
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 09:22:20 PM »
I'll bring you more stickers!

www.cockednlockedfab.com

Facebook @cockednlocked

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 09:04:24 PM »
I'll bring you more stickers!
I want good ones this time. None of that Hellion and FMF bullcrap. No more F-ing southside companies and 4wheel clubs for this truck.

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 06:53:36 PM »
Nothing major here in terms of progress, but im pretty proud of the ingenuity. The truck had no battery hold down, and uses the crappy style that has a little plastic block to hold it down at the bottom only, so i was gunna just ratchet strap it before FF, but then decided i have 50+ cars with which to borrow from, so i used the existing bolt holes in the battery tray and dug thru some train wrecks til i found a combination that worked. Used an offset hold down from a '15 Explorer, a long hold down post from a Corolla to run thru the old hold down bolt hole, and a short post from an Altima to hook the bracket on the back of the tray, and the sumbitch lines up perfect.

Then i put in a negative cable cause the current one has a short and occasionally needs a lil jiggle to start the truck, and a new rear speed sensor. Finaly ready for some dirt...

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 09:52:35 PM »
Well, took OJ out last night for the 1st time. Went to the north side of lake pleasent with my buddy Joe and his ZJ. Im not familiar with the area, but he is (since a big fisher and is out there every other weekend looking for a new spot), and i was surprised at how many roads and trails are actualy out there.
Anyways, sorry i didnt get any pics (other than a few of us just testing the flex of his new lift), but i learned a few lessons:

1. Full sized trucks dont steer or manuever for sh** in 4wd.

2. Wear a back brace when wheeling a Bronco.

3. Never let your friend Joe lead the expedition. When you're scraping up your rockers, high centering on t-case skid, getting hung up on your diff, and dragging your bumper everywhere, you're probably going through rougher sh** than you should on your first ever outting. His Jeep never flinched, but my fat a** truck had some struggles at times. And i wasnt scared i was tearing my sh** up, i was scared that when my pos Ford broke down his Dana 35 axle was not gunna be stout enough to tow me back out over that sh**. The nice camping/fishing spot was well worth the ride though.

4. I should start saving for a transmission. Whenever i got real bound up, or tried a real steep climb, and needed a good heavy dose of skinny pedal, the bit** would slip. Just wouldnt bite in first gear when there was too much resistance. Only once did i need him to pull me, and part of that was cause my bumper was snagged on a rock, but it sure was annoying and stressful.
If anyone has any suggestionsto help that im all ears. Ive heard of people putting a qt of Ford type-F trans fluid in their hotrod to help the tranny grip better and shift firmer, might be worth a try in the meantime before i can afford a rebuild or trans swap.

Needless to say, ill be running with the babies in the stock 4x4 group next week in Florence.

Cuda K5

• Cocked-N-Locked Fab
    • View Profile
    • Cocked-N-Locked Fab
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 10:07:57 PM »
Gearing is what your trans needs

www.cockednlockedfab.com

Facebook @cockednlocked

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 10:08:43 PM »
Gearing is what your trans needs
You mean 3.55 aint gunna cut it?

Cuda K5

• Cocked-N-Locked Fab
    • View Profile
    • Cocked-N-Locked Fab
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 07:34:40 AM »
It'll work, but your trans won't like it

www.cockednlockedfab.com

Facebook @cockednlocked

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 12:50:51 PM »
308's FOR LIFE!
just all bad luck at this point.  whatever is the worst that can happen will

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 01:13:24 PM »
Anythings better than the 2.73's the Cuda K5 started out with lol

Cuda K5

• Cocked-N-Locked Fab
    • View Profile
    • Cocked-N-Locked Fab
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 03:09:24 PM »
True that.

I'd rather upgrade the tcase than the axles though

www.cockednlockedfab.com

Facebook @cockednlocked

ZJ Guy

• Durfee
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 04:54:57 PM »
Adjusted throttle valve. Reattached speedo cable that got yanked out sat night. Sucked out some Mercron atf and replaced it with 1qt of Lucas, and half a qt of Type-F. Lets hope those small things help out a little bit.

On a bright note, found out its an AOD trans not an E4OD, so its comparatively cheap as hell to have rebuilt if need be.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal