Author Topic: BBC'S BUILD  (Read 15573 times)

BBC

• View Profile
BBC'S BUILD
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:25:04 AM »
here is my build to date. started with a bone stock 85 k5 with a 305/700/208, 10 bolts front and rear. first step was to replace to tired out 305 and drop in a prudy little big block. i had the 700r4 rebuilt to handle the power from the 454. then next up was re-gear and new beefer axles. dropped in a 14ff with 4.56 gears and a locker in the rear and picked up a 10b with the matching gears and a arb. i through a rattle can od green paint job on and called it good. next up was my spring swaps. put some 56" springs in the rear with the ord shackle flip hangers. i ended up moving the hanger back 2" to get a good shackle angle. up the 52" springs from the rear went in to some b-52's and a crossocer steering setup. that's pretty much where i am to date. it's been a work in progress for the last 2-1/2 years. the only thing stock left on the k5 is the 208 t-case, which is getting clocked. then i might try some boat-siding, and a cage will be in the future as well.

here is some pics:

you need to quit f***ing around and get this thing done.  i thought i was slow... :lee:

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
Re: BBC'S BUILD
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 10:38:43 AM »
nice and clean looking.  hope to do that crossover and b52 swap on mine someday. 
also like that guard you have in the last picture should come in handy
just all bad luck at this point.  whatever is the worst that can happen will

JYD

• Administrator
  • f*** it! lets go wheeling!!
    • View Profile
    • ALLOFFROADAZ.COM
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:44:05 AM »
NICE WORK SCOTT!! :guitar:

CISCO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 02:52:13 PM »
Looks good bro, did that 2 1/2 year bulid up seem like forever ?

BBC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 02:54:22 PM »
Looks good bro, did that 2 1/2 year bulid up seem like forever ?
ya it took a long time
you need to quit f***ing around and get this thing done.  i thought i was slow... :lee:

steves79

• Driveway Stomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 09:25:02 PM »
ur rig is nice man,that thing has come along way
felony4x4.com

HICKNASTY

• " THE GARGE KING "
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 08:38:04 AM »
hells yah cage fighter your rig has come along way.  way
project jus a sin soon to come .

ROCKZILLA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 08:45:41 AM »
Looks nice man lets go run Woody's Wash with it!
It started life as a 1987 Samurai and turned into a Psychobilly Cadillac .

BBC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 08:17:38 AM »

gotta get my death wobble figured out and i want to build some rock sliders as well. maybe all in time for blazer bash  :dance:

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 08:34:34 AM »
sounds like a good plan scott.  lookin forward to it

ROCKZILLA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 11:42:27 AM »

gotta get my death wobble figured out and i want to build some rock sliders as well. maybe all in time for blazer bash  :dance:
Do you have a king pin front diff or ball joint...either way check those. Check your wheel bearings and your camber you may need to get an angle shim to correct the camber.
It started life as a 1987 Samurai and turned into a Psychobilly Cadillac .

BBC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 05:00:28 PM »
i wish i had some king pins, but it's a 10b and i got too much postive camber. so i'm going to play around with some things hopefully this weekend. ball joints are brand new, i'm also going to check the wheel bearing as well.

BBC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 12:27:27 PM »
got some shims installed that i got from aznative to help correct my death wobble. worked out awesome. thanks again james! then i found some stuff in town to run over.  i also got the other shock tower installed and it's now sitting on 2 gas bilstiens in the front. makes a ton a difference in the ride. it's as smooth as my tahoe now. next up is a 208 rebuild and y-pipe so i can clock the 208. i need to build a traction bar for the rear. with the 56's back there the axle likes to wrap up a bit. more to come all summer. woooooo hooooooo my k5 is driveable again

here are a couple of poser pics!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 04:11:22 PM by BBC »

ORANGE CRUSH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 09:38:26 AM »
nice work cuz. time to build that front shaft  :dance:

1970 K5 454/700/205 6" LIFT 35" BFG'S. (TO PRETTY TO WHEEL)
1973 K5 350/465/205 52" FRONT 56" REAR SPRINGS. 15" TRAVEL SHOCKS, 37" MILITARY TIRES

JYD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ALLOFFROADAZ.COM
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »
got some shims installed that i got from aznative to help correct my death wobble. worked out awesome. thanks again james! then i found some stuff in town to run over.  i also got the other shock tower installed and it's now sitting on 2 gas bilstiens in the front. makes a ton a difference in the ride. it's as smooth as my tahoe now. next up is a 208 rebuild and y-pipe so i can clock the 208. i need to build a traction bar for the rear. with the 56's back there the axle likes to wrap up a bit. more to come all summer. woooooo hooooooo my k5 is driveable again

---------^^^^^-------NICE!!!

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 01:31:42 PM »
glad to hear that scott, look forward to seeing that in person

SUB602

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 05:23:13 AM »

[/url

Hows it drive on the road,? From the research ive done ive read that it can be pretty unstable driving a Blazer with a 52" conversion up front.
Ruben

Built not Bought- In Theory :)

77 Gmc Jimmy, 350, 3SPD, np205, 4" lift, 33" tires, 8-lug axles.

BBC

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 06:57:01 AM »
it drives as smooth as my 2003 tahoe. the body does have a bit of roll in it, but the ride is soft.

i would stay it is just as unstable as a stock k5 without swap bars connected.

az native

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »

Looks Good Scott glad I could help you out.  :spin:

SUB602

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 07:51:24 AM »
it drives as smooth as my 2003 tahoe. the body does have a bit of roll in it, but the ride is soft.

i would stay it is just as unstable as a stock k5 without swap bars connected.

I've been tossing the idea around since I have 52's sitting in my garage but have been hesitant because of the body roll and Brake dive they say the swap creates. Most I've read warn against doing this on a daily driver.I do like the idea of a better ride.  Maybe after u have driven a few more times I'll hit u up again about the roll/dive then I'll make my decision, cuz the ride in front with stock 4" lift springs sucks!!!
Ruben

BBC

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »

I've been tossing the idea around since I have 52's sitting in my garage but have been hesitant because of the body roll and Brake dive they say the swap creates. Most I've read warn against doing this on a daily driver.I do like the idea of a better ride.  Maybe after u have driven a few more times I'll hit u up again about the roll/dive then I'll make my decision, cuz the ride in front with stock 4" lift springs sucks!!!

if you are ever up on the north side hit me up we can go for a spin. i drove it around for almost a hour on sat., it's actually kinda fun to drive with the body moving like it does. when you take a right turn the left front dives down and vise versa. it just takes a little bit to get use to, kinda like when you take the sway bar off for the first time. i haven't really slammed on the brakes so i don't know about the brake dive. after i put the gas bilsiens on, the body roll kinda lessened a bit. overall i am happy with the swap.

i don't think i'll ever pay for a "lift kit" again. i can't wait to take it on some dirt, but got some parts to add before that. also i'm toying with the idea of swaping 56" springs up front as well to get a better shackle angle without having to move the shackle location. still up in the air tho.

SUB602

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 07:40:01 PM »
I know your going to Blazer Bash soon. Is your rig pretty much done, or have you done more since your last update?
Ruben

BBC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 08:07:28 PM »
kinda just been putting everything back together, long work hours and lack of motivation has been killing me. but it's ready for bb. i swapped in a rebuilt 208 cuz the other had bad bushings on the shifter fork, so it would always pop out of gear. been going through everything to make sure it's tight and lubed  :banana: need to change the oil this weekend and pack some bearings on the trailer.

JYD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ALLOFFROADAZ.COM
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 08:10:54 PM »
DO WORK SCOTT!!!

SUB602

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 08:12:21 PM »
I understand the Motivation thing.  Its the Temp outside that kills it for me. R u driving up to Blazer Bash or towing it?

Well if your gonna pack the bearings on the trailer im guessing Towing  :o
Ruben

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal