Author Topic: '81 K10 Project  (Read 5127 times)

Big-Red

• View Profile
'81 K10 Project
« on: June 03, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »
Well i decided id start a build thread and just start to post things as i go.

Picked this truck up a few weeks ago and have done a few small things but nothing to amazing yet. So far i had to replace the power steering pump and added a CB. Right now the big investment that i need to over come is getting it to pass emissions   :angryflip: its been in 3 times so far and still hasnt passed but while working on it today i notice one of the spark plugs wasnt even plugged in and it failed because there was too much unburned gas coming out of the exhaust so hopefully that will help.

Today i decided i was going to pull the seats out and rhino line the floor of the cab but didnt get to finish. So tomorrow i need to just spray the inside and organize some loose wires i found tucked away in the corners while taking it apart.

rednecknatureboy1

• View Profile
Re: '81 K10 Project
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:53:24 AM »
looking good post more pics of the outside of it

Big-Red

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 07:01:06 PM »
Here are some pics of the day i brought it home.

Nothing has changed with the outside yet but on the inside i just finished the pics in the first post are what it looked like when i pulled the seats and now....

ONE NATION

• ride HI stay LOw
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 01:04:00 AM »
nice good luck on your build
ride HI stay LOw

rednecknatureboy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 12:46:48 PM »
looks good  :headbang: :headbang:

JYD

• Administrator
  • f*** it! lets go wheeling!!
    • View Profile
    • ALLOFFROADAZ.COM
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »
Nice looking truck!

Big-Red

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 11:12:27 PM »
Well the inside is all put back together and it looks a million times better than it did before i started. So now i can mark the Bed liner inside off the list of stuff to do but now my sights are aiming for either a bumper or maybe some sort of suspension.

Rebeltoy83

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 03:18:27 PM »
looks like a good build
When in doubt throttle out

Big-Red

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 11:15:45 AM »
Its been a while but not much has changed worth writing about. just some unexpected problems that had to be fixed and of course it happened out on the trail in payson so it was a long day trying to get the truck into town.

While on the trail the truck lost all power then died, when we got back to the cabin 5 hours later than we said we would we had to do some fast repairs because i had to be back home in phx in a hour in order to pack for vacation early the next morning. luckily we knew what the problem was so fixing it didnt take much time at all. the Alternator was fried and the battery was just as messed up so that was a simple fix because i just replaced the alternator on my other truck a few months back. After we fixed everything and i got in the truck to fire it up with still a chance of making it home on time we hand a more serious problem....  the only key i have for it broke off in the ignition when i turned it over so i had a broken key stuck in the ignition. luckily there was just enough of the key sticking out to turn it on and off so after we got home i got that fixed but it was not a good way to end a day of repairs.

Now that im back from vacation im thinking about changing a few things. First off im looking for a Bench seat so if anyone has one i might be interested in it. Second im looking to start building a cage and custom dash but need some advice on that, what type of steel to use? and where is the best place to get it. Third im thinking about also making Bumpers for the front and back but would be just as happy to buy those if someone has kinda what im looking. As soon as something changes worth pictures ill post them up.

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 12:51:35 PM »
get all of your steel from Bobby at advanced metals.  tell him you are with alloffroadaz and you get a great discount.  its where we all buy out metal.  great prices and great guy to deal with.  he is a member here also.
i have bumpers for sale in the for sale section.  check them out and see if you want them.  front is a tube winch bumper wtih a stinger.  it is dinged up but it works.  rear is a tube tailgate with tire carrier.  not really a bumper but you might like it. 
just all bad luck at this point.  whatever is the worst that can happen will

Big-Red

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 09:55:02 PM »
Ok sweet thanks for the advice and ill look at the bumper you have, sounds about what im looking for.

Big-Red

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 01:05:05 AM »
Spent most of the day Saturday prepping the truck for paint and sprayed Saturday night.

Before:

After:

Rebeltoy83

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 11:10:20 AM »
hell yeah trucks looking good
When in doubt throttle out

ONE NATION

• ride HI stay LOw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 01:10:55 PM »
did you prime it or paint it?
ride HI stay LOw

Big-Red

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »
The truck was already a primer gray but was like that for a long time so i just sanded it down with 500 grit paper and smoothed it out in places then painted. So no i didnt prime it but i sanded it, painted and put a clear coat on.

BowtieBone

• It used to be a clean 93...then I met this group!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 05:50:44 PM »
Looks really good with the paint vs. just primer  :beer:
93 Blazer, 350 tbi, 4L60E trans, NP241C, rear 14 bolt welded, front Ford D60 spooled

SUB602

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 06:42:16 PM »
Have to agree looks a lot better with Paint. :headbang:
Ruben

Built not Bought- In Theory :)

77 Gmc Jimmy, 350, 3SPD, np205, 4" lift, 33" tires, 8-lug axles.

Big-Red

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 09:39:28 PM »
Well its been a while since ive posted anything but here has been a few minor changes in the truck. The old winch cable was REALLY kinked and frayed so i decided it was about time to get a new one and i thought id give the synthetic cable a try from trail gear. Over all still not sure on how i like it because the only time ive needed to use it the table that connects the cable to the winch snapped off but after looking back on it im pretty sure it was my fault for trying to inch out just a few more feet. I also screw up and only got the 50 foot rope ( horrible idea) definitely wishing i would have gotten at least the 100 ft.

I got a brand new set of 38.5/15 boggers and it was the best purchase ive made yet haha i cant believe the difference tread on tires makes  :lee:

Ive taken the truck out a bunch but have always been to busy to take pictures so ill get some as soon as i remember to take them.

The other weekend we went out with some friends and there was this mud hole that ive pulled 4 of my other friends out of and no one that ive been with has every made it though it so needless to say i had to try the new tires out and i made it through like it was nothing but when i decided to get cocky and go for it again i took the wrong line and dropped into a rut pretty hard and just like that my front lockers wouldnt engage. I was with just a bunch of stock trucks and jeeps and we couldnt get it to budge with what we had out there so we had to leave it there till we came back out with reinforcements. 8 hours later we got it out!

well after that I knew id need to take apart the axle to fit the lockers and clean everything out. Fixed the locker pretty easy and found the problem the copper tubing cracked at the base that leaked all the air out so no air could get to the locker.

While taking everything apart i noticed i was missing a bolt on a diff cover but didnt think twice about it till i when to put everything back together.... the diff cover isnt even the right diff cover for this axle! So i now need to get the right diff cover but the problem is Im having a hard time IDing the axle now. the numbers stamped on the side of the axle are GM 7 ( on the driver side) and 14030376 ( pass side) it has 10 bolts

Any help with IDing this would be awesome! Thanks

blazerv10

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 04:04:33 PM »
looks like a 44 maybe?
it was a jeep thing but all that sh** broke.

Copper Miner

• Keep Calm and Kill Zombies!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 05:54:36 PM »
It's a GM 10 bolt.
WHATEVER

Big-Red

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »
Over the 4th of July I took the truck to ABAR Creations up in Chino Valley to get a roll cage built. They had the cage built and finished in a day and a half! These guys did a great job at a very reasonable price and I couldnt be happier with how it turned out.

BowtieBone

• It used to be a clean 93...then I met this group!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 05:41:50 PM »
Looks nice  :beer:
93 Blazer, 350 tbi, 4L60E trans, NP241C, rear 14 bolt welded, front Ford D60 spooled

kkattfish

• Administrator
  • blazer babies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 08:57:29 PM »
looks good man.  so where are you at on your build and what's next?
you going to come out to florencefest this year and meet everybody?
just all bad luck at this point.  whatever is the worst that can happen will

Big-Red

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 09:14:12 PM »
There are still a few things on my list that I wanna get done sometime soon but I'm not too sure what all to do next. The next big thing id like to do something with the suspension, Ive thought about doing a 4 link rear with Air shocks or maybe go big and get coil overs? I still haven't decided how i wanna do the front suspension, I'm stuck between keeping the same old leaf springs or maybe swap out 52's but if anyone has any experience with suspension work id appreciate any input you guys have.

What is Florence fest and when is it?

ROCKZILLA

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 09:16:42 PM »
Cage looks pretty decent. Is the cage tied into the frame under the floor board?
It started life as a 1987 Samurai and turned into a Psychobilly Cadillac .
Wheel hard or stay home!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal